California law requires every driver to carry liability insurance to cover personal injury to a person up to $15,000. The state also requires every driver to have $5,000 for property damage. Unfortunately, these limits often cover only the minimal compensation in a minor or serious car accident.
Legal Ramifications for a driver who causes a car accident range from being cited for obeying traffic laws to criminal charges for breaking California penal law. Another legal ramification involves an injured party filing a lawsuit against the driver who caused the car accident. Have you been involved in a car accident in Santa Ana that wasn’t your fault? You may have the right to sue the driver for your injuries and property damage. Contact us immediately for help getting the money you deserve for your injuries and property damage.
Types of Damages an Awarded to a Car Accident Victim
The type of damages a person can receive from a car accident lawsuit or settlement depends on what happened during the Santa Ana crash. The most common damages recovered from a car accident are:
• Property damage. This includes any damage done to an individual’s car and personal property in the vehicle at the time of the crash.
• Lost wages. Lost wages is the amount of time the person missed work because of the accident.
• Medical bills. Medical bills are called economic damages. When a person is injured in an accident, they may need medical attention. This medical attention includes psychiatric and physical therapy. Medical bills are for current, past and future injuries related to the car accident.
• Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering are known as non-economic damages because they can’t be calculated. Non-economic damages include chronic pain or physical pain from the accident.
How a Lawyer Can Help after a Santa Ana Lawsuit
A car accident lawyer can help a person involved in a car crash in various ways such as:
• Investigating all contributing factors involved in the Car Accident
A driver hits another driver’s vehicle. It seems pretty simple that the driver was at fault for the crash. That’s not always the case. Contributing factors are things that didn’t directly cause the accident, but may have helped. Types of contributing factors are driver distraction, vehicle malfunction or poor road maintenance. A lawyer will take time to investigate any contributing factor that may have cause the car accident.
• Determining the Responsible Parties involved in the Car Accident
Not all Santa Ana car accidents are clear cut. A driver may hit another driver. However, the at-fault driver may not be the only wrongful party involved in the accident. For example, the at-fault driver may have caused the crash will at work. This means their employer may be at fault too. The vehicle may have a defect. This means the car’s manufacturer may be at fault for the accident. A lawyer will investigate to determine if more than one party is at fault for the car accident.
• Dealing with Debt or Hospital Collectors Harassing the Injured Party about Medical Bills
An injured party must seek medical attention for their car accident injuries. Unfortunately, the hospital and debt collectors aren’t willing to wait for their money. A car accident lawyer will directly deal with the collectors so their client can focus on recovering from their injuries.
We work to help clients in every aspect of their car accident claim. For instance, we deal with insurance adjustors. We negotiate with insurance companies and lawyers to get a fair settlement for you. Contact us immediately if you or your loved one was a victim of a car accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Santa Ana
Anyone involved in a car accident has a list of things to do before and after the accident. For instance, immediately after the accident, the injured party must stay at the scene, exchange information with the other driver and take names of witnesses. They must also seek medical attention even if they don’t think they were injured in the crash. Often delayed injuries develop weeks after the accident.
After the accident, a person must also:
• Keep track of their medical treatment
• Take pictures of all damage to property and any injuries
• Get property valuation for all damaged property
• Be careful in what is said to the insurance company or other party’s lawyers. It’s possible the other side will try to use it against the car accident victim.
• Be wary of all early settlement offers. The offers probably won’t cover all damages.
• Hire a Lawyer. Anyone involved in a car accident should consult a lawyer. Obtaining legal representation helps in getting more money and peace of mind. Clients don’t have to directly deal with the other party.
Contact Us Regarding Your Car Accident Claim
You need legal representation. You can depend on us. We understand Santa Ana car accidents and how to work with the parties at fault. Contact us immediately for help with your car accident. We’ll be happy to assist you in getting the money you need to recover from the accident.